St Hedwig’s Church

  • The temple existed in the castle-town already in the 10th century. 
  • In 1669 there was a mention that the temple was called the Church of the Virgin Mary.
  • In the later years, Hedwig, the wife of Henry the Bearded, developed a taste for the castle's hill because the view there reminded her about her homeland. She spent time there very often and prayed. ( In 1267 Hedwig was sainted and became the patron saint of Lower Silesia).
  • During the reign of Bolko II, the violent inflow of German settlers begun. As a result, Poles quickly become a minority. In 1348 this situation boiled over into a religious conflict. Namely, the residents of Wleń and surrounding villages force the castle chaplain to leave the church because he couldn't speak Polish. Since then, church services conducted in Polish has become a tradition. This fact was mentioned in a report from canonical visitation from the half of the 17th century.
  • During the Thirty Year's War ( 1618-05-23 - 1648-10-24 ), the chapel belonged alternately to the catholic military in service to the Hapsburgs and then to the protestant military of German Reich supported e.g. by the Swedish.
  • In November 1621, a calvary captain of the Lisowczycy Division - Maciej Dębiński was laid to rest in a burial vault of the church. He died in Wleń because of his previous wounds.
  • The chapel and the castle burnt down on the 7th of September, 1646.
  • No sooner than on the 5th of May, 1622, Adam von Kaulhaus together with his sons started building a new church using the remnants of the old building. When the construction was finished, the founder mounted the armorial cartouche and a foundation plaque located over the entrance. And then Hedwig became sainted as a patron of the church.
  • For many years, the humble temple was used not only by the landowners but also by excellent guests and surrounding residents.
  • After 1945, the interior of the temple became empty. The faithful were displaced, a valuable equipment was stolen away, and new residents couldn't get used to the new situation. No sooner than a few years later conduction of the Mass was resumed.
  • Since 1971 it has been a filial church of Saint Nicholas in Wleń.
  • In 2004, in order to establish the tradition of chivalry, a sword and glove had been ceremonially hung in the temple.
  • At present the church services are conducted every Sunday and on holidays. Many residents are enchanted with the charm and special atmosphere of this place, and they decide to get married, and to baptize their babies there.
  • A polychrome from the vestry and two sarcophagus which belonged to von Grunfeld family ate the most valuable relics of the long history of the church. They were made in a sandstone and were ornately decorated. The altar…













A private website – using its content is allowed only when the author’s name is mentioned and an active URL is provided!

Copyright © 2009 - 2016 Marek Krzysztof Dral. e-mail: kontakt(at)wlen.org.pl